Founded in 1980, Urban Resource Institute (URI) is committed to the vision of a world free of domestic violence, homelessness, poverty, and trauma, where individuals, families, and communities are safe, stable, and thriving. URI works across the spectrum of prevention, intervention and services to empower individuals, families, and communities, particularly communities of color and other disenfranchised populations, to increase their safety and resiliency. URI is the oldest licensed provider of domestic violence shelter and services in New York State, with 40 years of impact capped in the last five years with significant achievements and expansion leading to its position as the largest provider of domestic violence shelter services in the country. This expansion has afforded URI the ability to serve individuals who have traditionally experienced barriers to accessing shelter services, such as singles and families with pets.
Today, URI is maximizing the impact of organizational growth, expanding its positioning as an Innovative service provider, an influential leader and “Employer of Choice” in its field. URI has annual operating budget of approximately $98 million, more than 700 employees and the capacity to provide services to over 40,000 individuals annually. The organization operates in more than 20 locations around New York City and is recognized as a valued thought-leader in the sector across the US and beyond.
Reporting to the Vice President, Finance & Accounting, the Payroll Supervisor will serve as a critical member of URI’s Finance Payroll team. The Payroll Manager will be responsible for overseeing the preparation, generation, and maintenance of all company payroll documentation, including providing direct supervision of the payroll team. The Payroll Manager will lead the development of payroll workflow protocols to ensure efficient and effective ways of work that align with City, State and Federal and company regulations. The Manager will also be involved in enforcing compliance with relevant financial controls and procedures within payroll functions, and compliance with City, State and Federal laws.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS, & ESSENTIAL SKILLS:
• Perform bi-weekly review of payroll punch reports and review all payroll input transactions for accuracy before processing.
• Assess biweekly payroll registers and journal entries for discrepancies before transmitting final payroll files for processing with vendor.
• Review, investigate and professionally respond to employee inquiries regarding payroll matters in a timely manner.
• Process all payroll (non-financial) data for City, State and Federal reporting agencies as required.
• Provides copies of processed payroll reports to revenue management team consistent with grants management system and protocol.
• Create and support a high performing culture in the department and its payroll operations to ensure alignment with URIs mission, vision and values in a manner that promotes the team’s confidence, accountability, and professionalism at all times.
• Serve as liaison with the People & Culture team to ensure that all voluntary employee and other deductions are accurate, completed in a timely manner and paid to vendors as required.
• Assist in maintaining the payroll software system (Ultipro) and generating required reports; trouble‑shoots and resolves applicable issues or errors as necessary.
• Prepare quarterly and annual payroll tax reconciliation, including W-2 processing and solving complex and/or unusual problems.
• Prepare a variety of correspondence, memoranda, statistical summaries, reports, announcements and other materials related to the payroll function
• In partnership with Vice President, Finance & Accounting, assist in evaluating and identifying areas for improvements and make appropriate recommended changes in payroll administration policies and procedures.
• Recommends and assists in developing and implementing new and/or revised policies/procedures to ensure efficient processing of the organization’s payroll and ongoing compliance with legislative mandates and statutes.
• Work closely with Information Technology & People and Culture teams to identify opportunities to increase effectiveness of Payroll operations, system utilization, response time, and software capabilities/needs.
• Participate as part of URI’s internal audit team to facilitate compliance with URI policies and procedures.
• Work closely with VP, Finance & Accounting to assist internal and external auditors during audit process by providing documents, reports and other payroll-related reports upon request; implements procedural changes recommended by auditors
• Advise, interpret and provide direction to management and staff on company’s payroll policies and procedures and Federal, state and local laws and regulations involving payroll and related benefit program deductions to ensure ongoing compliance
• Supervise Payroll team by coordinating and overseeing work assignments and activities. Plan, organize, disseminate and prioritize team’s workload; monitors status of work in progress and provide support as needed.
• Represent the payroll department and team in relevant meetings and committees, as well as at speaking engagements and trainings.
• Ensure efficient and effective deployment of payroll resources consistent with identified toward organizational goals, working with payroll team to balance workload and effort, and provide regular feedback to continuously improve their ability to achieve objectives and promote URI as an employer of choice.
• Other duties as requested by Vice President, Finance and Accounting and other members based on department, program and/or organizational needs.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Passion for URI’s mission, vision and core values with the ability to communicate this passion to others.
• A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in Payroll and Accounting including general ledger account reconciliation and income tax filing.
• A minimum of three (3) years of Payroll Supervisory experience.
• Bachelors’ degree in Accounting or related business discipline is required.
• Prior working knowledge and experience of an automated integrated payroll software system is required; Ultimate “Ultipro” software is highly preferred.
• Strong business acumen, supervisory presence with professional integrity and high customer/employee service skills is required
• Ability to communicate with the highest degree of professionalism and tact with employees and others at all levels; and the ability to develop positive and productive relationships.
• Effective planning, organizational skills, originality and flexibility in setting up, maintaining, and controlling deadlines and schedules.
• Strong Mathematical skills; ability to calculate routine figures and interpret data is required
• Excellent organizational skills that reflects the ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly.
• Expert level written, with great attention to details and verbal communication skills is required, with the ability to represent the organization externally across a wide range of stakeholders and constituencies.
• Advanced knowledge and experience of City, State and Federal accounting and payroll regulations and guidelines is required
• Must have the ability to perform complex payroll functions which may require resolution of applicable problems, fiscal analysis, reconciling conflicting policies and procedures which governs a variety of payroll categories.
• Ability to be a highly resource team member with the ability to work independently to research and analyze information for complex or sensitive payroll projects.
• Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands, and demonstrate the highest level of customer/employee service and response.
• Demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
• Knowledge and application of self-care and work-life balance for self and others.
Interested candidates may forward a copy of their resume to email@example.com for consideration.
Urban Resource Institute provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training