Founded in 1980, Urban Resource Institute (URI) is committed to the vision of a world free of domestic violence, homelessness, poverty, and trauma, where individuals, families, and communities are safe, stable, and thriving. URI works across the spectrum of prevention, intervention and services to empower individuals, families, and communities, particularly communities of color and other disenfranchised populations, to increase their safety and resiliency. URI is the oldest licensed provider of domestic violence shelter and services in New York State, with 40 years of impact capped in the last five years with significant achievements and expansion leading to its position as the largest provider of domestic violence shelter services in the country. This expansion has afforded URI the ability to serve individuals who have traditionally experienced barriers to accessing shelter services, such as singles and families with pets.
Today, URI is maximizing the impact of organizational growth, expanding its positioning as an Innovative service provider, an influential leader and “Employer of Choice” in its field. URI has annual operating budget of approximately $98 million, more than 700 employees and the capacity to provide services to over 40,000 individuals annually. The organization operates in more than 20 locations around New York City and is recognized as a valued thought-leader in the sector across the US and beyond.
The APIP Outreach Educator is responsible for facilitating remote/in-person presentations related to the ENDGBV’s Respect & Responsibility curriculum and goals. Direct services include presentation, recruitment, advocacy, referrals and follow-up. Individual must demonstrate sensitivity to issues related to the impact of the criminal justice system, trauma and domestic violence. In addition, the APIP Outreach Educator will make all necessary assessments for the following needs: partner community agencies to provide proper referrals of participants into the program, meet the needs of the community and flexible scheduling.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS, EDUCATION & ESSENTIAL SKILLS:
• Facilitate weekly remote/in-person workshops
• Conduct interviews and presentations related to Respect & Responsibilities curriculum and program goals.
• Conduct outreach within the assigned areas in collaboration with partnered community organizations.
• Assists all participants in the process of referral and placement in community- based sites, as assigned.
• Participate in formulating and building engagement workshops at collaborative sites
• Work collaboratively with URI, ENDGBV, CCI, STEPS to map out ways of strengthening overall goals of Respect & Responsibility program.
• Attend weekly conference calls, monthly case conferences, and staff meetings.
• Function independently and professionally at all times at all R & R related events
• Develop effective relationships with Central and West Harlem community-based organizations
• Maintain accurate data related to the progress of the program
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND EXPERIENCE:
• Associate Degree in Human Services with two (2) years of experience in outreach/presentations
• Two (2) years of experience preferred in social services, criminal justice system/jail/prison, working with re-entry and/or probation populations and experience
• In addition, must have lived experience or training and experience in interfacing with the criminal justice system, accessing the vocational and educational service systems, identifying the aptitudes of participants, thorough familiarity and success with engaging participant’s experience.
• Must be knowledgeable and sensitive to domestic violence and diversity issues
• Must possess a demonstrated ability in delivering public presentations including: communication and listening skills.
• Employee must be computer-literate and must have knowledge of Microsoft Office Applications.
• Must have ability to be flexible of schedule as needed (evenings required)
• Excellent written and verbal skills are required
Interested candidates may apply by visiting https://www.indeed.com/job/apip-outreach-educator-c6d8853f452cfdf7
Urban Resource Institute provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training