Urban Resource Institute (URI), a not-for-profit 501(c) (3) organization established in 1980, operates shelters and provides services for survivors of domestic violence and homeless families. It also runs residential and vocational programs for individuals with developmental disabilities. With a $70-80 million annual budget and with more than 600 staff by the end of the year, URI promotes safety, justice, health, and independence for vulnerable individuals and families residing in New York City.
Reporting to the President and CEO, and serving as an integral member of the Executive Team, the General Counsel is the organization’s chief legal advisor, responsible for overseeing its legal affairs, including its in-house corporate affairs, policy initiatives, and real estate projects.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS, EDUCATION & ESSENTIAL SKILLS:
• Advise on matters of corporate governance, finance, contracts, risk management, real estate transactions and projects, and employment;
• Counsel senior management and other staff on legal issues relating to programs, including legislative and regulatory issues affecting the organization’s delivery of services;
• Share responsibility for developing real estate acquisition and management strategy;
• Develop new and revise existing policies and procedures.
• Monitor and manage litigation, including responding to subpoenas, overseeing violations, and working with outside counsel;
• Interface with Board on matters requiring approval and on changes to New York State laws governing non-profits;
• Monitor and assist with implementation of new City and State legislation and regulations applicable to the organization’s programs, facilities, and employees;
• Supervise professional and administrative staff.
• Present proposals and reports in both written and oral form to upper management and to Board
• Develop and manage strategic and work plans
• Prepare and deliver training and presentations
• Prepare budgets
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND EXPERIENCE
• Law degree from accredited law school
• Admission to the New York State Bar
• Knowledge of New York City real estate development
• A minimum of seven years’ legal experience as a licensed attorney
• Two to five years’ experience in a general counsel or comparable role, preferably in government or a non-profit
• Demonstrated sensitivity to or experience with domestic violence, homelessness, poverty, trauma, particularly in communities of color and among LQBTQ and other disenfranchised populations
• Strong legal, analytical, administrative, and written and oral communication skills
• Robust organization and process management skills
• Ability to work with business and government representatives
• Solid legal and real estate network through professional associations, etc.
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Experience collaborating in a fast-paced environment with a multi-disciplinary, diverse team
• Ability to work independently, assess priorities, take initiative, handle multiple assignments simultaneously, and meet deadlines
• Ability to manage staff and budget
• Basic computer proficiency
Interested candidates may forward a copy of their resume along with salary requirements to email@example.com for consideration.
Urban Resource Institute provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.