Urban Resource Institute (URI), a not-for-profit 501(c) (3) organization established in 1980, operates shelters and provides services for survivors of domestic violence and homeless families. It also runs residential and vocational programs for individuals with developmental disabilities. With a $70-80 million annual budget and with more than 600 staff by the end of the year, URI promotes safety, justice, health, and independence for vulnerable individuals and families residing in New York City.
Reporting to the President & CEO and serving as an integral member of the Senior Team, the Chief Marketing Officer will be responsible for the development of URI’s marketing, communications and public relations strategy and goals and will contribute to URI’s organizational strategic operations. The Chief Marketing Officer will develop and design a world-class marketing and public communications plan, directly manage communications activities that enhance, promote and protect the organization’s brand and reputation. The Chief Marketing Officer will be responsible for the development, integration, and implementation of a broad range of marketing and public relations activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of the organization that expands URI’s reach, visibility and influence with its target audiences.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS & ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES
MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS STRATEGY
• Develop and manage a marketing and communications strategy that increases URI’s brand, visibility, awareness and influence with key stakeholders.
• Understand and provide insight into the company’s evolving key performance indicators to solidify and drive a marketing and communications strategy which optimizes future business potential and growth.
• Educate and engage senior team leaders, board members, key stakeholders and investors utilizing analytical and mapping models, industry trend data and market changes to advance initiatives aligned with the company’s mission and strategic objectives.
• Reinforce the agency’s brand identity as an organization that is seen as a leader in the programs and services provided to target key stakeholders and audiences.
• Implement communications strategy that builds the organization’s reach and influence through the strategic use of various communication channels to highlight the agency’s work to position it as a valued community resource, a leader in its field, and a worthy investment for potential funder.
• Collaborate with our External Affairs division with a focus on setting objectives, priorities, fundraising and marketing targets; monitor results and evaluate performance.
• Work with various internal leaders to create and manage a communications-training program for URI staff that will increase their fluency in the agency’s brand and identity to become cultural philanthropies of the agency.
• Oversee and coordinate necessary training for URI’s content experts to build skills in areas such as public speaking, writing, media training etc.
• Partner with the internal staff regarding development activities, including but not limited to preparation of grant proposals, presentations to prospective or current donors/funders, and hosting site visits for current or prospective donors/funders.
• Manage integrated and multi-dimensional corporate partner marketing and communications commitments
BRANDING & MEDIA RELATIONS
• Identify opportunities for the agency and its experts to build our brand identity via media, speaking engagements, digital communications and campaigns, print and video productions.
• Build the fluency of staff across the organization in the URI brand via training and the creation of briefing materials; be responsible for maintaining the integrity of the agency’s brand across online and offline communications channels.
• Work in collaboration with URI’s external PR agency to develop a high-impact media strategy that supports the organization’s strategic direction and overall brand position.
• Acquire client-centered experiences including the management process of crafting their statements for media, publications, public speaking engagements, videos, written endorsements etc.
PRODUCTION, EVENTS & NETWORKING
• Oversee the creation of external communications materials including annual reports, marketing brochures, videos, publications etc.
• Work with the in-house team to maintain excellent standards of quality and with URI’s content experts to rollout strategies and dissemination plans for our services in order to ensure that we effectively reach our target audience(s).
• Responsible to cultivate and promote URI’s varied and integrated marketing and communications services including, newsletters and other print publications; web, e-news and other online communications; media and public relations; and marketing.
• Oversee the production of written materials including press releases and advisories, letters to the editor, and op-eds; establish and reinforce the organization’s editorial voice in the media and online.
• Manage department’s staff as needed; delegate tasks and assignments; foster teamwork, collaboration, and innovation; and inspire excellent performance.
• Serve as a mentor and develop direct reports by setting a clear expectation and work standards; provide resources and tools for skill development; and actively work with staff to review and revise research, writing, and advocacy projects.
• Proactively identifies and educates staff regarding quality requirements. Work closely with Senior Team members to promote effective communication, facilitate information sharing and collaborative problem-solving methods.
• Assist in the development and management of data management tools and analytics, and supporting a knowledge sharing system and working environment.
• Ensure compliance with all relevant federal, state and local regulations as well as agency and program policies.
• Other duties as requested based on department, program and/or organizational needs.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND EXPERIENCE
• MBA in marketing or MPA in related field and at least 10-15 years of senior management experience
• Minimum of 8-10 years of experience in brand strategy, executing marketing and advocacy campaigns, dealing with crisis, producing content, and leveraging the media and other stakeholders to convey various messaging strategies
• Established experience and leadership in managing comprehensive strategic marketing and communications, media relations, and marketing program to advance the agency’s mission and goals
• Ability to take initiative, prioritize duties, and work independently while functioning under pressure and as a key management team member.
• Demonstrated proficiency in proactively building relationships with top-tier partners, and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve recognition and awareness.
• Supported effective executive management skills and ability to work effectively with diverse groups at all levels of the agency.
• Robust project management skills and experience, specifically in projects requiring significant resources, cross-functional involvement with the ability to meet and organize multiple project deadlines in fast paced high energy working environment.
• Recognized ability be an effective leader with exceptional, interpersonal, communications, writing, speaking and presentation skills with the ability to inspire and motivate others to accomplish the agency’s goals.
Interested candidates may forward a copy of their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
Urban Resource Institute provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.